Jumping on the Bandwagon

   Some of you might think I’m sharing this blog because of two reason: 1. I want you to feel sorry for me. That couldn’t be further from the truth. I don’t want you sympathy or attention from this. I want to bring awareness and maybe show someone far away or close by that they aren’t alone in their fight.
     2. I’m jumping on the bandwagon since all these celebrities have came out with their stories. Well thats not really true either. In 2013 I had already decided that I was going to be open about my mental health and the medication I was on. Honestly, I didn’t think it would be that big of a deal. ( I WAS SOOOO WRONG) I knew at some point someone would see me taking my pills. Instead of them thinking I was a drug addicted, I made jokes about it and tried to ease the tension that was bulit up around me taking pills for my depression and anxiety. For the longest time my alarm to take them was set as “Take Crazy Pills”. I thought it was funny and so did most other people.
   I was still told in not so many words that I needed to keep my mental illnesses a secret, like something I should be ashamed about. The “best answer I got” was “What happens if a patient finds out you are on meds?” Well depending why they are needing to be taken by ambulance to where ever, maybe by me being open and honest would form a connection between them and I. The people we take to the psychiatric units for depression, I tell them I know where they are coming from. More often than not it helps so much. They know I’m not just a cold person sitting back there with them because it is my job.
   I work at a new place now and most of us take some kind of medication for our mental health. We see the worst of the worst. I love the fact that my director and assisted director both know where I’m coming from. Unfortunately we have to shut down here soon because of lack of funding. It is what it is.
  I just want everyone to know that they are no alone in this battle against these illnesses that are invisible. The wounds no one can see with their eyes. Just because it can not be see doesn’t make it any less important to treat.
   I may not be a professional, but if you want to talk to someone who is willing to just listen, add a comment and we can find a way to do that
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Holidays

My Way of Grieving

Chronic.... seems like everything