How do you do your job?

    I'm a paramedic is a very rural area. The service I work covers 502 square miles. Our closest hospital at any point is at least 20 mins away.  I have also worked where there are more than one ambulance service for the county I worked in. I have been in EMS going on nine years. I have a been a Paramedic for six of those years. My job is not all sitting around and eating. Nor is it just helping little old ladies off the floor. Mine job can be messy,hard(physically and mentally), rude, personal, and terrifying. At the same time it can be heartwarming, caring and bring you happiness.
    When people hear that I work in my field, with depression, anxiety, and PTSD, they freak out. How could some one so messed up in the head do that kind of job where you have to keep a cool head at the hardest times? Well it's simple. A lot of people in EMS, fire and police have some form of mental illness. We have seen our fair share of crap no one should have to see or go through.
    For me it is like a switch, I could be consumed  with anxiety and a call come in, that is an emergency, and I wont feel that way any more. I am in the state of mind of how a?m I going to make this person better". "What are the protocols?"' Do I need to call in special resources?" It is easy for me to do this, because it is all I have every known. I started when I was 18.
   People see me jump because the PTSD. People seem to think that makes me unable to do my job. I’m not really sure why. There isn’t to many loud sudden noises on calls. Yes, I do have very vivid memories of all my worst calls and I can tell you ever detail down to what shoes I was wearing depending on the call. I do have both visual flashbacks ( No, I do not think I am back in the moment) and emotional flashbacks. I have had coworkers make fun of me for being so jumpy. Most understand but some are just asses.
   A lot of my coworkers are impressed by when I jump and usually throw what is every in my hands a few feet in to the air. About 95% of the time I catch the object. The one that was most laughed at by me and my coworkers is when our call tones dropped at work, I had my laptop on my lap and I had my hands under it. I threw it about 3-4 feet in the air and was able to catch it. I am able to do this because the jumpiness last less than a second.
    Some times my mental illlenesses make my job harder, but also it makes it relating to patients either. The people you are taking care of, know you know how they feel, can sometimes can calm them down and let them know they are not alone. Just remember not all things that hurt people can’t be seen.  Check on your loved ones and friends. You never know who is struggling silently.

Nicole

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Holidays

My Way of Grieving

Chronic.... seems like everything