My thoughts (possibly offensive language)

      I took a sociology class a couple of years ago and we talked about how men degrade each other by calling them names such as : “fag” “pussy” “girly” and so many more. In todays society it is forbidden for men of any age to show that they have feelings. That is unless its shows off your “toughness”.
     Then we have people that break away against the norm ( both men an women). We get called snowflakes and other things because we let our selfs feel in a world that commands us to be numb to name calling and stereotypes. To me this generation that is depicted as weak and too sensitive, is just showing the world that it is ok to feel negative things and get pissed about it.
     About a year ago I saw a meme making fun of peopel who have mental illnesses and kill themself. I stated that no one should make jokes like that and that is what keeps people in the dark about mental illness. That is what keeps people who don’t want to be seen as weak or broken from getting help. I was then called a bunch of names. I had to google what some of the slang terms meant, because I have never heard them before.
   I was amazed that people called me these things for standing up for something I believed in. Something that people should make fun of. But yet I was taughted and made fun of for having any feelings at all, let alone strong ones and I’m a girl. Can you imagine if a man would have said the same, simple thing, I said? That guy would have probably gotten messages that were sent to him and the things they said on the comments for everyone to read.
    I find it hard to really grasp the old saying “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.” Words fucking hurt. Now if you go the way my boyfriend thinks “words only hurt you as much as you let them” (sorry hun your full of crap) The stigma that I am weak and broken because I have anxiety or the one where I am lazy and just don’t want to do anything because i have depression pisses me off. Even people with the same diagnosis as me have a tendency to go along with everyone else and believe those things. Just because a man cries or a woman wants to stand up for what she believes is her rights, does not make them more or less a person.
    We are in a age where the younger people are starting to stand up and speak about how they really feel. (God forbid that ever happens) Then we are berated by our parents and grandparents for speaking out. Because “that is something we don’t talk about”. I have lost family members because they see the things I post on MY facebook about MY life with MY mental illness. My grandmother even scolded me for posting about it on Facebook. (She can’t figure how to post or find anything but she can see my post about my bad day with anxiety.) My aunt told me that she would have never went to the doctor for anxiety or depression because then it would be on her medical record. I don’t know if she thought that the NSA or CIA were going to get in her medical records and some how plot to use that against her.
    Why is it so hard to understand that people have all kinds of different feelings? Some good, some bad. No normal emotion is bad to feel, (with in reason. You don’t want to get so angry you go out and kill someone. Or any extreme like that) Everyone has feelings and everyone is going to have a hard time at some point in their life where they are shown as “weak” or “broken”.
   Unless you have a psychological disorder where you can not feel or something like that, it is going to be completely normal to feel good things, bad things, and things that piss you off. Feeling emotions is not the enemy here. It’s the stigma that having feelings is a bad thing and you are weak and stupid for having them.
      I hope we can feel more, hurt less. Be more that we are. I hope that people can see that we are not broken. Maybe bent a little but nothing else. No one is perfect and we should stop trying to be and be more true to ourselves.


 Nicole

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Holidays

My Way of Grieving

Chronic.... seems like everything